The last we remember of Brendan Fraser is when he starred in ‘The Mummy.’ And now, the Academy Award winner is back, starring as an estranged father in the blockbuster masterpiece, ‘The Whale.’ The movie caused quite a commotion at the box office upon its release and later at major award shows.
The standing ovations and rounds of applause are well-deserved, as Fraser has outdone himself with his acting skills in this movie. If you are a film enthusiast and wish to watch The Whale, this article includes all the details to help you do so effortlessly.
Where to Watch The Whale?
‘The Whale’ is available for streaming on Paramount Plus. If you don’t have a Paramount+ subscription, you’ll need to get one to stream this cinematic gem.
However, there’s a limitation to streaming on this platform. It can only be accessed within the US; elsewhere, it is geo-blocked. This means that viewers outside the US will need to get a premium VPN subscription to watch The Whale.
How to Watch The Whale Outside the US?
To watch The Whale on Paramount+ outside the US, with the help of a VPN, follow the instructions below:
3 Reliable VPNs to Watch The Whale Outside the US?
Discussed below are 3 of the most secure VPNs that users worldwide trust because of their robust security features.
ExpressVPN — Vast Server Network to Watch The Whale
To unblock streaming platforms from more than 50 locations, ExpressVPN will help you out with the following outstanding features:
- ExpressVPN is the finest VPN to watch The Whale, with 3,000 servers in 94 countries (including 25 locations in the US).
- ExpressVPN has a monthly fee of $6.67/month (Special Discount) for a 1-year plan + an additional 3 months. You can avail of this fantastic discount and save 49% on the subscription.
- 24/7 customer support is provided to the users.
- ExpressVPN unblocks streaming sites like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
- You can operate eight connections simultaneously.
- User data is shielded by AES-256 encryption, TrustedServer network, and private DNS.
- ExpressVPN’s US servers provide download speeds of 89.42 Mbps, upload speeds of 84.64 Mbps, and a low ping of 110 ms with a 100 Mbps connection.
- 30-day money-back is guaranteed.
Surfshark — Economical Pricing to Watch The Whale
Who doesn’t want unparalleled features at the lowest possible prices? Surfshark provides just that, along with the specifications mentioned below:
- Surfshark owns over 3,200 servers in 100 countries and over 600 servers in the US.
- Surfshark utilizes a WireGuard tunneling mechanism, assuring the security and enhancement of your browsing and streaming activities.
- Surfshark’s 24-month subscription plan costs around $2.39 monthly with 85% off.
- Users also get the benefit of an additional 2 months of free service.
- Surfshark allows infinite logins.
- Surfshark unblocks well-known geo-restricted streaming platforms like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and Peacock, among others.
- Surfshark blazing fast servers provide download speeds of 86.24 Mbps and upload speeds of 53.72 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
NordVPN — Fast Server Speeds to Watch The Whale
To have an uninterrupted streaming experience, you’ll need excellent server speeds, such as NordVPN‘s. Here are the additional features it is equipped with:
- NordVPN has a tremendous server web with 5,400 servers in 59 countries, including 15 advanced servers in the US.
- You can buy NordVPN for $3.99 per month or $107.73 for the first 2 years, with a 62% discount and an opportunity to withdraw within the first 30 days.
- NordVPN protects user data through numerous tunneling protocols.
- You can link up to six devices at a time.
- Firestick, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, Switch, Raspberry Pi, Chromebook, Chromecast, and Kindle Fire are compatible with NordVPN.
- NordVPN uses AES 256-bit encryption, a strict no-logs policy, extra features like a kill switch, established streaming mode, and a friendly user interface are the unique features of the service provider.
- NordVPN easily bypasses famous geo-blocked sites like Hulu, Disney+, and Sling TV.
What is The Whale About?
Charlie, portrayed by Brendan Fraser, is a college English teacher who lives in isolation while suffering from severe obesity. Upon finding out that he’s soon going to die, he tries his chance at developing a bond with his estranged daughter, Ellie, played by Sadie Sink.
Throughout the movie, Charlie tries to reach out to his daughter in various ways, including helping her with her assignments.
The movie dives deep into human relationships, the emotions that dictate our actions, and conflicting desires that break or make a life. Together, Fraser and Sink deliver Oscar-worthy performances by imbuing into their characters an unforgettable strength.
Is The Whale Based on a Play?
Yes, The Whale is based on a theatrical play. Before The Whale was given a new life and brought to the big screen by the renowned director Darren Aronofsky, this masterpiece was a play written by Samuel D. Hunter.
The writer had initially conjured up this masterpiece for the theatre, and while the play did not receive as great an acclamation as the movie did, it did win significant awards.
Samuel D. Hunter also joined the movie as one of the writers, which assures us that the film could have stayed more from its original plot.
When Was The Whale Released?
The Whale was released on Friday, December 9, 2022. Before the film’s worldwide release, a minute-long trailer offered viewers a glimpse of this movie’s beauty.
Before the release, the movie officially premiered at the Venice Film Festival on September 9, 2022. This is where The Whale received a six-minute standing ovation from the audience, including fellow actors.
Not only that, while making its rounds at various film festivals, Brendan Fraser also won the TIFF Tribute Award for his immaculate performance as a 600-pound dejected father buried beneath his regrets.
Cast Members of The Whale
Directed by Darren Aronofsky, who previously gave us ‘Black Swan’ and ‘Requiem for a Dream,’ The Whale stars the talented Brendan Fraser in the lead position as Charlie. However, he owes the central part of his fame to ‘The Mummy’ movie series; his role as Charlie proved to be a pivotal turning point in his acting career.
Sadie Sink (the one from Stranger Things) supports him, who plays Charlie’s deviant teenage daughter Ellie, Hong Chau as Charlie’s devoted caretaker, and Ty Simpkins as a missionary boy trying to mend his ways.
Did The Whale Win at The Oscars?
Yes, The Whale bagged a major Oscar award. Brendan Fraser took home the Best Actor Award with, reportedly, Austin Butler as one of the runner-ups for his role in Elvis.
In addition to this award, the movie also won the Best Makeup & Hairstyling award, winning the race against blockbusters such as Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
Why is The Whale Rated R?
The movie has been rated R for specific scenes, including drug usage, obscene language, and sexual content.
Is The Whale on Paramount Plus?
Yes, The Whale is available to stream on Paramount Plus. Viewers must subscribe to Paramount+ with a SHOWTIME plan to watch this movie.
Is The Whale free on Amazon Prime?
No, The Whale is not accessible on Amazon Prime. You can buy it on Prime Video for $19.99.
Is ‘The Whale’ based on a true story?
No, The Whale is not based on a true story. Instead, it is based on a Theatre play of the same name, written by Samuel D. Hunter.
Is The Whale movie coming to Netflix?
So far, there is no news of The Whale coming to Netflix. In the meantime, you can watch it on Paramount+.
The Whale is a tour de force in present-day Hollywood that has rightfully deserved applauses and kudos worldwide from critics within and without the film industry. If you, too, are fond of powerful stories based on brief yet complicated human lives, watch The Whale without a moment’s delay.
All you need to do beforehand is get a premium VPN, such as ExpressVPN, and you’ll easily be able to steam this title on Paramount Plus.
Hope you enjoy The Whale as much as I did.